With the debut of the Release candidate of VMware player 3.0 comes a bunch of new features. It also looks like Player 3.0 RC is become more of an entry level of VMware workstations. The biggest new feature has to be the ability to create new Virtual Machines with the free product. This puts it in the same class with other free products like Sun’s Virtual Box and Microsoft Virtual PC.
You can see full details on the RC version of VMware Player 3.0 and download it here.
Below is a list of features that are new in version 3.0.
- The ability to create Virtual Machines
- Aero support for Windows 7 and Windows Vista guests!!!
- OpenGL support for Windows guests (give Google Earth a try!)
- New User Interface including a Virtual Machine Library
- Windows 7 support (as a Host and Guest OS)
- Automatically download and install the latest VMware Tools package
- Multiple Monitor Support
- Print from your VM without installing printer drivers. Virtual Printing courtesy of our friends at ThinPrint.
- ALSA Sound support on Linux hosts enables multiple VMs to play “music” concurrently
- VIX API support will let our coding fans write applications that can interact with their VMs