VMware releases Horizon View Feature Pack 2
As VMware is working hard to continue the improvements in their End User Computing (EUC) products, they have released the second feature pack for View. This pack brings some enhancements and new features. Lets hope there is some even better news coming at VMworld this year.
VMware Horizon View 5.2 Feature Pack 2 includes the following new features:
- Flash URL Redirection – Customers can now use Adobe Media Server and multicast to deliver live video events in a virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) environment. To deliver multicast live video streams within a VDI environment, the media stream should be sent directly from the media source to the endpoints, bypassing the virtual desktops. The Flash URL Redirection feature supports this capability by intercepting and redirecting the ShockWave Flash (SWF) file from the virtual desktop to the client endpoint.
- For information about setting up the Adobe Media Server and ensuring that clients are configured, see “Configure Flash URL Redirection for Multicast Streaming” in the VMware Horizon View Feature Pack Installation and Administration document.
- Real-Time Audio-Video – Real-Time Audio-Video allows Horizon View users to run Skype, Webex, Google Hangouts, and other online conferencing applications on their virtual desktops. With Real-Time Audio-Video, webcam and audio devices that are connected locally to the client system are redirected to the remote desktop. This feature redirects video and audio data to the desktop with a significantly lower bandwidth than can be achieved by using USB redirection. Real-Time Audio-Video is compatible with standard conferencing applications and supports standard webcams, audio USB devices, and analog audio input.
- Unity Touch improvements – You can now add a favorite application or file from a list of search results, and you can now use the Unity Touch sidebar to minimize a running application’s window. Requires users to connect to their desktops from VMware Horizon View Client for iOS 2.1 or later, or VMware Horizon View Client for Android 2.1 or later.
- For information about setting frame rates and resolutions for Real-Time Audio-Video on Horizon View desktops, see the VMware Horizon View Feature Pack Installation and Administration document.
- For information about configuring these settings on Horizon View clients, see VMware KB 2053644: Setting Frame Rates and Resolution for Real-Time Audio-Video on Horizon View Clients.
- For information about using this feature with 3rd-party applications, see VMware KB 2053754: Guidelines for Using Real-Time Audio-Video with 3rd-Party Applications on Horizon View Desktops.
About Brian Suhr
Brian is a VCDX5-DCV and a Sr. Tech Marketing Engineer at Nutanix and owner of this website. He is active in the VMware community and helps lead the Chicago VMUG group. Specializing in VDI and Cloud project designs. Awarded VMware vExpert status 6 years for 2016 - 2011. VCP3, VCP5, VCP5-Iaas, VCP-Cloud, VCAP-DTD, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, VCA-DT, VCP5-DT, Cisco UCS Design